Thursday, December 20, 2012

English Toffee

My mom used to make this yummy English toffee growing up, and now my sisters love to make it. Just like the tea rings, now that I am living so far from home, I now am forced to make my own Christmas treats. I can no longer rely on my sisters to deliver whatever goodies I crave during the holidays.

I made this recipe last night and brought the majority of it to work today. It was gone by 11:30 a.m.! It really is a great treat-especially at Christmastime. The original recipe has you grate a chocolate bar over the top of the hot toffee, but my sister Elaine uses chocolate chips which saves a lot of time (and a mess). She also puts her nuts into a blender until they are blended until they are almost a powder.

1 lb. butter
2 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. light corn syrup
3 oz. slivered almonds

Generously grease a large cookie sheet with butter. In a large heavy pan, combine the ingredients and cook mixture on medium-high heat until hard crack stage. A candy thermometer is not necessary, but you have to watch closely and stir constantly. The mixture will become a dark carmel color and start pulling away from the pan. It takes a very long time (15 minutes or so), and you may think it is starting to burn. To test, have a cup of ice water next to the stove top and keep dropping the hot mixture into the ice water and taste it to test it's consistency. It should be very crunchy; if it sticks to your teeth at all, it is not done yet. As soon as it gets to the hard crack stage, take off heat immediately and pour into the pan.

2 pkg. milk chocolate chips
1 c. walnuts or pecans, chopped very fine

Spread chocolate chips over the toffee and continue to spread as it melts. Top with the chopped nuts and press into the chocolate with a spatula. Cool in fridge until the chocolate has set. Pull up one corner, turn over and chop into small pieces with a butter knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment