Sunday, March 3, 2013

Kara's S'more Cookies


There are just so many things I miss about Kara McCoy. She and her adorable family moved to DC at the same time as us, and just went home to Utah a few months ago. I miss going out on date nights with them every weekend, I miss having their darling dimpled kids messing up our house on Sundays, I miss shopping with her, eating with her and I really miss just knowing she is close by. But, above all, I miss her treats that she always brought when she visited.

I made her famous S'mores cookies this past weekend for a band festival and I got so many compliments (even marriage proposals). They are fun cookies to make and taste better than a campground s'more.

Flat, square, stackable marshmallows are easily found at Target and Safeway. Double or triple the recipe, because one batch will not be enough to share with the office and neighborhood!

S'more Cookies

1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. butter, softened
1/3 c. shortening
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 pkg. chocolate chips
1 box graham crackers, broken into squares
1 pkg. flat marshmallows
2 Hershey's chocolate candy bars, broken into individual pieces

Cream sugars, shortening, butter, vanilla and egg together. Add dry ingredients and mix. Stir in chocolate chips.


Line a jelly roll cookie sheet with parchment paper and layer with whole graham crackers (I left a space in between all of mine). Place a flat marshmallow on each graham square. Place a walnut size scoop of cookie dough on top of marshmallows. Bake at 350 degrees for about 12-15 minutes (watch closely as they brown fast at the end). As soon as they come out of the oven, place a hershey chocolate square on top of each cookie. Cut into squares and allow to cool (I put mine in the fridge until the chocolate was set up).

No comments:

Post a Comment