Sunday, February 17, 2013

Kalua Pork


The Fishers used to have us over each year for their amazing annual luau. It's one of the things I miss the most about our old neighborhood in Cedar Hills. Kulani and Cindy go all out and usually cook a pig in the ground for the event. They have cooked at many ward parties as well and have often made their kalua pork. One time I asked Cindy how to make it and I was shocked at the simplicity of the recipe. It's a favorite of mine now and I often make it when I have to feed a huge crowd and put 2 or 3 roasts in a big roasting oven. But sometimes, like today, my family asks for it out of the blue and I just use my crock pot. I love to use the leftover pork for BBQ pork sandwiches later in the week.

Kalua Pork

1 lg. pork butt or shoulder roast, bone in
2-3 T. liquid smoke
1-2 T. kosher salt

Prick the roast all over with a large meat fork. Pour liquid smoke all over the roast (I usually use about 1/4 of the bottle for one roast). Cover the roast in salt and cook on low overnight. The next morning I usually take all the meat out and separate the bone and fat out. Then I drain the drippings and take most of the fat off. I shred the meat and put back into the crock pot, with the drippings. I like mine very moist, so I usually add about a cup of water. Let it continue to simmer on low until you need it. Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment