Thursday, November 1, 2012

Cilantro Chicken Enchiladas

My friend Elyssa Andrus brought these to me one day and I have never made any other enchiladas since. I have probably made them for 100 new moms and it is my go-to meal for the missionaries. They are dreamy! This is the original recipe (although I have added the beans and corn), and I always triple it for our family and bake it in a large baking dish.

4 oz. chopped mild green chiles, undrained
3/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves and stems
3 green onions, sliced 
2 T. sliced pickled jalapeno chilies (if you don’t want them too spicy, only use a little)
2 T. fresh lime juice (we use more because I like it so much)
1/4 t. salt
1/3 c. water
4 (8-inch) flour tortillas
2 c. cooked chicken, shredded
1 c. grated monterey jack cheese
1/2 c. black beans
1/2 c. white corn
1/4 cup heavy or whipping cream
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 11 X 7 baking dish. In blender, combine chilies, cilantro, green onions, pickled jalapenos, lime juice, salt and water; puree until smooth. Transfer to 8-inch skillet and heat to boiling over medium heat; boil 2 minutes. Dip one side of each tortilla in sauce; spread 1 tablespoon sauce over other (dry) side of tortilla and top with chicken. Add cheese, corn and black beans. Roll up tortilla and place, seam side down, in prepared baking dish. Stir cream into remaining sauce in skillet; pour over filled tortillas. Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes. Remove foil; sprinkle with cheese and bake until cheese has melted about 5 minutes longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment