Sunday, November 4, 2012

Mom's Banana Bread

I love to cook and I really love trying new recipes. Sometimes, I end up trying so many, that I forget how good the old-fasioned original recipes are. I love banana bread and I somehow forgot how good my mom's recipe is. My niece Lisa is living with me for a few months and she decided to make banana bread the other day. "Do you have Grandma Cozzens' recipe?" Lisa asked. Well, yes, I guess it is in the old Moab 3rd Ward Cookbook. It was created by a typewriter and was printed on pastel sheets of paper, hole punched and put together with rings. It has ripped pages, stains and notes all over it. We found the recipe, she made the banana bread and it was the best I had tasted in years! Why do I sometimes forget the simple recipes that made my mom one of the best cooks I've ever known?

1 2/3 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1 t. soda
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
1 t. vanilla
1 c. mashed bananas
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. nuts (optional)
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350. Sift together flour, soda, and salt. Combine butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl; cream at high speed for 1 1/2 minutes. Add mashed bananas, nuts, sour cream, and dry ingredients. Mix on low speed until well blended. Pour into oiled 9 x 3 x 3 loaf pan. Bake at 350 for an hour. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 20 minutes. Run a knife along the sides of the pan and remove bread from pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment